Monday, April 23, 2012

Dapple-gänger!

Ah, the road to finding the perfect dappling technique that works with your own skill set. Well, that seems like a logical approach. Do you work better light to dark, dark to light, or tackling them at the same time? Of course, this method of figuring out also has a lot to do with your medium of choice. You can also manipulate your medium to work with your technique. I understand all this, but I'm in a weird league of my own. I understand the different ways and could probably do them quite well. I just get so ahead of myself. I'm OCD and not ADD. I can take my time, but want to hurry towards the end. I can't just put it down. Partly since I'm afraid that I will get busy with other things and forget, but also I really want to find out my formula to dapples. Unfortunately for me, I try to apply all the techniques at once. If one is not working, I abandon it for another and then another and then another. Without sticking to one and not being able to just put the horse down, I work with oils and this just has to be done sometimes, I usually end up distraught and down and out in a way.

Anyway, here is my next dappling technique that came out okay. Not great, but on such a tiny guy I like it for what it is and just need to make the other side match.
Here is what he looked like before dapples.
Yes, I only have dapples on one side so far. I am planning to work on the body a little more. He has horrible brush strokes from the acrylic base coat.
As you can see still no dapples on this side.
I really need to make sure that I have newer photos on my computer before blogging these things. I have his eyes painted in and his hooves are shiny black now.

No comments:

Post a Comment